Saturday 9 August 2014

Unforgettable - Exploration of emotions

I've looked into my idea of using the emotion of joy then grief further, and made a list of several effective car safety ads, the kind that came to mind when I first thought of the idea of montaging these to the song 'Unforgettable'.

Two of the most hard-hitting ads:

An average couple at a party get a bit of a shock on the way home
A couple run into a bit of trouble after celebrating the girl's father's 55th birthday
Why do these ads have an emotional effect on me?

The reason I think these ads are so hard-hitting is they set you up with a peaceful or happy setting then quickly change the mood to one of extreme grief, distress and sadness. I also think these would be effective at evoking an emotion with my teacher, as at the start of the term he said that for him, sadness wasn't just a montage of soldiers fighting on a battlefield. It was people who you know, or people you can relate with, going through pain or loss. A very emotional experience with him was when he had to perform CPR on a neighbour, and despite performing it for a long period of time, he was shoved away by the ambulance when they got there, he was told that he had done enough, and the grief he felt at failing to save that man's life was immense. The way the people and situations in these ads are so familiar to myself and other people I know is one of the reasons they create such an emotional response, the same thing could have happened to someone you know, or yourself.

This is why I think going from the happy scenes in these ads to the grief-ridden scenes of these ads with a song that can portray both joy and grief would be extremely effective at evoking an emotion within my teacher and classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment