Friday 8 August 2014

Brainstorming

Here are my first few ideas for my digital media project:

Idea 1 - The emotion of childhood joy and wonder

Song: Mirror Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMFcPPe1x2Y

First thoughts
This song always evokes a strong emotion in me of joy and happiness, and paints the image in my head of a child or children playing in a blanket fort, or under their bed covers during a thunder storm (see below). This image evokes the feeling of awe, fear, excitement and joy that children feel when they're confronted by something that to them is scary and unknown, but that still feels exciting and fills them with joy to be confronting, the kind of feelings that childhood is all about.

What would I accompany it with?
I would accompany this song with videos and images of children playing, and building or playing in a blanket fort or under their bed covers, like you see in movies. As the music progresses I would add videos of it starting rain, and thunder, then continue with videos of children, afraid but also in that state of awe that childhood is all about. I would sync sections of the song with the footage, syncing the sound of thunder with flashes of lightning, and scene switches with major piano cords or notes.

This is the kind of scene of a child hiding under a blanket during a storm that I want to find videos of


Idea 2 - The emotion of fear

Song: Turn Around Look At Me
https://soundcloud.com/redacted-2/turn-around-look-at-me

First thoughts
This eerie adaptation of the song Walking Behind You sounds much more empty and creates an atmosphere that puts me on edge. This song was very effectively used to evoke fear in the trailer for the game SCP Containment Breach (see below) and I believe it would be possible for me to mimic this effect in my digital media presentation.

What would I accompany it with?
Accompanying this song I would put eerie footage of abandoned houses and dark forests, etc, with added jumpscares and freaky images, just like in the trailer. A problem with this idea however is the length of the song, less than two minutes. I would need more eerie music to accompany this project as well, so if I go with this idea I would need top find more music.
The trailer for SCP: Containment Breach, that effectively uses this song to evoke fear

Idea 3 - The emotions of joy and grief

Song: Unforgettable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uRtNMFfF-g

First thoughts
This song sounds like a happy, joyous song which could also be used to portray an emotion of longing or grief. A notable time I remember hearing this song is at the start of the movie 'Watchmen', where there is a fight scene to this song (see below). This particular scene also evokes an emotion within me of grief or loss, which I believe to be evidence that this idea could work. The original emotional intent of the song, however, is one of joy and happiness, meaning it that I could start the project with clips of happiness and joy, then progress to clips of sadness.

What would I accompany it with?
The first videos that come to mind when I'm thinking about videos that progress from happiness to sadness are car safety ads, which start with a happy family or setting then progress to a gruesome, unsettling or grief-ridden scene. By montaging the happy, then sad segments of these scenes, I believe I could recreate the emotional shock of these videos on a larger scale.
A fight scene accompanied by Unforgettable, which adds an emotion of grief instead of happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment